Sunday, November 30, 2008

You've got to be kidding me!

I hate Oklahoma. I always have. I always will. I hate Oklahoma to the point that when I meet someone who happens to be from there I almost immediately become suspicious of them and pretty much decide I don't like them. There are occasional exceptions to this, but not many. It's bred into your blood as a good Texas boy.

Today, with the latest release of the BCS rankings the Sooners jumped the Longhorns and will now play Missouri for the Big 12 championship and assuming they win a shot at the national title.

As much as I hate Oklahoma I'm not mad at them. I am furious at this ridiculous system that we have. Money aside, the entire premise behind the BCS is that every game matters. The system asks that on every Saturday each team shows up and tries to be the best team on the field that day. When Texas played Oklahoma on a neutral field in Dallas that's exactly what they did. They showed up and proved they were the better team in a head to head match up winning that game 45-35. The game was not played in Austin, it was played in Dallas, which is just about as equidistant to both campuses as a town could possibly be.

Both teams finished their regular seasons 11-1. Why with tied records does the Big 12 ignore head to head match ups as a tie breaking factor? If the Big 12 used the SEC tie breaker rules for a three way tie, they'd throw out the lowest BCS ranked team, in this case Texas Tech, and then look at head to head results. This, makes a lot more sense.

I really hope that in the next few weeks everybody forgets that I'm a Texas fan so I'm not constantly fielding the question, "How do you feel about that?" I could go on forever about how I think the system lets down deserving teams every year. It just seems to me that the system asks the teams to show up and be the better team that day. Take the field and show us who is better. And for some reason answering that question doesn't really seem to matter in the long run.

No comments: