Thursday, November 20, 2008

Fugitive of the Law

Winter riding in the bay area is generally far more pleasant than winter riding on the east coast where it's already so cold that body parts exposed to the air freeze off and die of gang green. Ok, that doesn't really happen, but it's not comfortable.

This morning I went out for a titillating 2 hours of base miles. Bundled up in a set of knee and arm warmers I cranked up the iPod and tried not to think of the monotony ahead. Base miles are important, but that doesn't not make them any less boring to ride.

At almost the exact 1 hour mark where I was going to turn around I ran what was probably the 20th stop sign of the day when I noticed a little kid riding his bike to school was staring at something behind me. When I looked back I was greeted by the familiar welcoming strobe of red and blue lights.

I've actually been pulled over by cops on my bike before. All of the other occasions were during my bike trip and almost all exclusively because I'd get frustrated trying to figure out how to avoid the freeway and just ride on the shoulder instead. But now, without the story of a grand bicycle adventure I wasn't really sure if I would get out of this ticket.

The cop got out of the car smiling and after scolding me for a bit decided he just wanted to chat. He also confused me for a popular cyclist as he told me to inform all of my friends, "If you run a stop sign in Ross you're gonna get a ticket." (Ross is the name of the town, I had no idea.) I assured him I would spread the word. With my heart rate dropping back to sleeping levels he finally ambled back to his car.

I stopped at all the stop signs the other direction. Well, that's not true. I stopped at all the stop signs until I saw a new town limit sign and proceeded as usual to pretty much blow right through them. It's just a lot of trouble to actually stop when there's nothing around. I could write another post on why I think forcing bikes to obey stop signs and stop lights actually makes traffic worse and doesn't increase safety, but, I'm sick of typing.

Durlak, if you read this, I did not get a ticket. I'm sure that infuriates you as you hate all cyclist on the road. So, take that!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want to be on the road with "the cars", then you need to follow the same rules. Just absurd to think you immune from them but get to use the roads. Stay on the sidewalk if you don't want to follow road rules.

debbiep said...

I agree with you plus I am not as good on the bike as you are. I slow down look both ways if nothing is coming I just go on through.