Saturday, November 29, 2008

Fast Freddy




There are only a few places in the US where you are likely to ride past pros who are out doing the same training ride you are. Luckly, I live in one such place. When I moved to San Francisco I knew that Fred Rodriquez lived in Emeryville (Just across the bay) and I used to joke that a few of my cycling goals while here were 1) to see him while I was training and 2) figure out someway to make him my friend so I can train with him.

This morning as my buddy Jennifer and I were finishing up a very easy 2.5 hours I noticed a Rock Racing kit about two turns away. As we got closer I realized it was Freddy and I was sort of like an 8 year old seeing their favorite baseball player for the first time. I wasn't sure if I should wave. If I should say good morning. Or if I should play it totally cool and just roll past. Freddy smiled and waved to both of us and then I really looked like that 8 year old as I sat completely up to wave back. Jennifer, knowing that I wanted to run into him on a ride looked back and started to poke fun at me because I was clearly a bit star struck.

But, what a nice guy! He's a three time US National Champion and he waved hello to us. I've always liked Fast Freddy, but now I like him even more. If I can just figure out how to work out goal number 2!

1 comment:

debbiep said...

That is pretty neat.