Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Vote for Landall in all write in opportunities.

From an economics stand point voting is a gigantic waste of time. I don’t want spend a lot of time discussing this but it basically boils down to opportunity costs lost through the act of taking the time out of your day to go and do it and the fact that elections never come down to one vote.

With that being said I got up a half an hour early this morning and wandered the two blocks to my polling station to vote for what I hope will bring some change to the good ol’ USofA. This was my first time voting in California and it is a process. There were city measures to vote on A-V and like 12 props for the state. I like prop bets because the fun. Prop votes are annoying. The only one I really cared about was No on 8 (the gay marriage one for those of you outside of CA). I mostly like it because I hate bigots and I didn’t need to do any research to take the right stance.

I tried to research the other props, however, I lost interest and decided to go with a much easier method of choosing. I’d read the prop. I’d ask myself the question, “Does this make gov’t bigger?” If that answer was yes, then I voted no. Simple enough.

For a few elections now I have been writing myself in for local seats where I know nothing about any of the candidates. I followed that tradition for three seats in San Francisco. One of which was for judge. You all can start calling me “your honor” probably around midnight.

In some states, CA included, you aren’t allowed to bring in any sort of campaign material or wear anything campaign related within 100 yards of the polling place. This meant I couldn’t wear my Obama pop art tshirt to vote so I had to go back home and change before coming to work. But, this law does bring up a sort of interesting question. If I am not allowed to show my support for Barrack Obama in picture format, is Barrack Obama allowed to show up an vote? Isn’t he campaigning for himself just by showing up? Do the candidates have to wear costumes to the polls? We all know the answer to this is no, and the law, I guess makes sense because it keeps people from harassing you as you walk into the location, but, I always sort of liked ignoring those people and I really wanted to wear my Obama shirt.

If you haven’t voted, vote, especially if you live in a swing state where your vote actually might make a difference. Even though, economists everywhere know that isn’t a true statement. Turn out in big numbers and lets prove them right!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am undefeated in my votes. I've never lost, in fact I piss winners. Major political consultants often ask me who I am going to vote for then base their prediction on who wins from that. I'm like Greenspan in that I change the mood, outcome, or thought process of millions just by opening my mouth...it's fun