Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Random Line of Logic That Doesn't Make Any Sense!

It's St. Patrick's Day. Until a quick wikipedia search about 10 seconds ago I had no idea who St. Patrick was. But, now I do. He's the patron saint of Ireland. I guess this makes sense, but I have to admit I was hoping for something cooler. Like the patron saint of binge drinking. It'd make the holiday make more sense!

Growing up in the south St. Patrick's day isn't really a big deal so my first experience with the holiday beyond using it as an excuse to pinch girls was in college. This is really where the holiday started to make sense and I was made aware of the great ramifications of this day.

On March 17 (and generally the weekend before if it's in the middle of the week) shows the world just how proud they are to be Irish. I've got nothing against Ireland but until I ran the numbers I just didn't quite understand what all the hoopla was about. But, by doing some simple algebra I came to learn that there are just about 60 people in America for every 1 person in Ireland. That is incredible! A country with only 1.6% of the population has somehow managed to populate ALL of America. As I thought about it more it suddenly became clear to me where the need to binge drink on this holiday comes in. If 5,000,000 people are expected to produce 300,000,000 you gotta include something to lower inhibitions and mainly standards!

So really, St. Patrick's Day here in America is nothing but a simple way for us to pay our respects to the country that did such a selfless act to ensure we simply existed! In all honesty, anybody that knows me knows that I generally like any good excuse to drink excessively and blame it on tradition. I mean, beer is delicious, enjoy it in mass (which I've been informed is actually en masse)!

A simple closing thought:

No comments: