Monday, March 23, 2009

Madera Results = Really Bad Time Trialist

They just posted the Madera results and, for sake of both my pride and accuracy, we need to make some adjustments.

If you read my race report you'll remember I got a flat in the 2nd lap of the first stage, the crit. Due to the field finishing together there were like 3-5 of us with anything but same time. I, however, am the only one with 18:12 tagged onto my time, which was the amount of time it took me to get back to my car, change the flat and then get back in.

The time trial, Stage 2, was 10 miles and while I pushed it hard, I apparently am a terrible time trialist as I got beat by close to 4:30. Not good!

The Road Race was the last stage. 51 miles, I ended up 16th out of the 66 people that started. So, I guess this isn't a terrible result and probably the only one worth remembering from the day.

Let's look at the numbers:

The group finished the crit in 45:52, while I was given 1:04:04 and that's a difference of 18:12. The crit was not fast, and unless I was unlucky and crashed I would have definitely at least finished in the group. So we can assume this 18:12 can be removed for adjustment purposes.

Everything else is where it should be I suppose. No need for adjustments on the other stages. Somehow and this is baffles me, I didn't finish in dead last place for people finishing all three stages. The only thing that makes sense for this scenario are some unlucky people got flats during the TT or Road Race and were able to walk it home. If that happened in the TT you were given the same time as the last place rider. In the road race, you could walk it across the line if you wanted to. I guess there is also the possibility that some people were dropped during the RR, but I never felt like we were going fast enough to shell anybody, and that's why there were crashes at the end, because people who shouldn't have still been there, were.

Official Results: 55th Overall out of 58 people who finished all 3 stages. My overall time was 3:32:17. Subtract the 18:12 for the flat out of that and it puts me at 3:14:05. I was surprised to find only adjusts me to 33rd overall.

This is a totally unimpressive result and I think goes to show that I'd make an excellent bottle fetcher for a pro tour team. If any of you are interested, do not hesitate to offer me a contract. Not only will I never complain about being mediocre in your line up of riders, I also tell the occasional funny joke.

If you don't trust my math, results can be found here:
http://www.velopromo.com/mdra-rl09GC.htm

No comments: