Monday, December 08, 2008

Please define the word Dominate.

Gators, Sooners to meet in BCS national title game

I found this article staring back at me this morning as I checked my email. After reading the first couple paragraphs I realized it was just one more article that down played a head to head loss and glamorized winning the last half of the season by big margins.

You don't really need to read the whole article. Just the fist sentence couple sentences to show just how ridiculous the end of this college football season turned out.

"Dominated the last two months" is basically what seems to determine who gets to play for championship games.

Except there's one problem with that statement. On 10/25/08 Oklahoma lost to Texas 45-35. That's inside of two months. So maybe they weren't so "dominating" after all. Unless of course you ignore head to head match ups as an important aspect of college football. Which, clearly seems to be the case!

So now, after Oklahoma embarrassed Missouri (who really didn't deserve to be in that game either except the Big 12 North must play the South) they will go on to play Florida for the national title. I am no Florida fan but you better believe I will be cheering for the Gators as if I were born in the swamp. I realize this win would probably make a case for the argument that the SEC is always the strongest conference in college football and right now I just don't care about that.

As a consolation prize Texas plays Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. I have NO idea how an overrated Ohio State still got themselves into a BCS game when Texas Tech is clearly getting snubbed. But, Texas always plays great in big bowl games and Ohio State always falls apart so if it shapes up the right way it should be a good day for the Longhorns.

Hook 'em!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're just bitter that Texas choked in the end.

Bottom Line - Oklahoma just has higher quality wins. It's not more complicated than that.

landall said...

Choked?

Someone clearly learned how to define words in Norman.

Congrats on beating Washington (0-12). I feel like that win was probably the one that pushed you over the edge.