Monday, December 29, 2008

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Literally. My folks live in Cotulla, TX which is closer to Mexico than San Antonio with not much in between in any direction. It's warm and sunny and in some cases the streets in town are fully paved. It is not however, a place people under the age of 40 could live. There is simply nothing to do.

We took a trip to Austin, and I'll do my best to post some pictures soon. I'd never been to Austin so I paid my respects to my beloved Longhorns taking a moment of silence outside of DKR Stadium. Austin, is a great city. It's unlike any other place in Texas I'd ever been. It's still country but it's progressive. You see as many hipsters on fixies as you do cowboys climbing out of giant trucks.

Everyone always makes fun of me for my Texas pride since we moved when I was so young. There's just something about Texas cowboy culture that is appealing to me. However, I've always made fun of people that dress up and play cowboy so I wouldn't jump into boots and a hat just because it's Texas. It's a city that mixes the best parts of two cultures I'm drawn to and on some level identify with.

Keep Austin Weird, the official unofficial town logo. I don't think this statement means the same thing to two people that live there. And I think that makes it a pretty rad city!

No comments: