Friday, January 23, 2009

Our New Fearless Leader

With the swearing in of our new President this week everybody was going crazy with gushy emotions about how great the world is about to be. Being my naturally cynical self I'm a bit less than ready to crown Mr. Obama the greatest President of all time until he actually gets some of the stuff that he promised done.

It's easy to talk about what you're going to do. In any context, not just when trying to convince people to elect you leader of the free world. What's more difficult and should count for a lot more is when you deliver on those things you spoke about.

I totally understand that the simple idea of change gives people hope and Obama certainly embodies that. So, as I listened to his speech on Tuesday I did so without much emotion because again, they were just words. As this week as progressed I've caught glimpses of the new President in the oval office on the front page of major newspapers and I realized it hasn't really set in for me. Sure I realize that good old boy W is out and there's a new guy with access to the fancy pen set, but my life didn't change. And that's sort of why I find it so difficult to get fired up about many political causes or the process as a whole. Sure these people we elect are important. Sure they make big decisions that have the possibility of effecting the world. But on a personal level there isn't much they do that changes my day to day life. Some people find this ridiculous but it's just the way I feel.

So, did I vote? I did. And did I vote for Obama? I did. But why? If I don't notice the difference of one administration to another what made Mr. Obama seem like a better candidate than Mr. McCain? Simple. Mack Brown thought so. The day the stories came out that Obama visited the Longhorns my mind was made up, I was voting for Obama.

1 comment:

debbiep said...

I guess that is as good of a reason as any.