Friday, January 09, 2009

The Landall Uninteractive Poll

There are three things that I love when it comes to college football and those three things are, the Longhorns, the Longhorns beating the Sooners and the Sooners losing big bowl games. The last 6 years have really brought me a lot of joy.

I was going to bash Oklahoma for not winning a BCS bowl game since 2000. Oklahoma has the highest paid coach in college sports and I am now completely convinced that they justify that bloated salary by making themselves feel good when they beat totally inferior teams by 50. That must be what helps them overlook the fact that they haven't won the last three BCS games they played in, all of which they were favored.

But, I'm not going to bash Oklahoma. Instead I am going to officially publish what I think the final top 10 should look like for major college football. Below will be the rankings and below that will be my justification of each.

1. Utah
2. Florida
3. Texas
4. USC
5. Oklahoma
6. Alabama
7. Penn State
8. Ohio State
9. Texas Tech
10. TCU

1. Utah - Only team to go undefeated and in my opinion the only team to make a statement with their bowl win. They are penalized in most polls for playing in the Mountain West but I'd argue that the Mountain West has just as many tough football programs as the Big 10 or the ACC. To paraphrase their coach, "All we could do was beat the teams we were scheduled to play." And they did. Every last one of them.
2. Florida - Eh. I'm not a big Florida fan and ever since ESPN did that special interest piece of Tim Tebow going to prisons to talk about Jesus it makes me like them even less. However, they are clearly good. Are they good enough to be the consensus National Champs? Not to me. But, in the system we have, I guess that's what they are.
3. Texas - I'm not being a fair weather fan by putting them over USC. They beat Oklahoma 45-35 on a neutral field. They played 4 consecutive weeks against teams all in the top 11. Our loss was to a Texas Tech that finished higher than Oregon State who beat USC. And, with 2:05 left on the clock Colt McCoy showed just how good he is and marched his team down the field to win the game. Not every important win is by 60.
4. USC - They're clearly good. I think the rounding out of my top 5 would make for some of the best games in a playoff system that exists. They beat Penn State pretty easily, but, everybody saw that coming.
5. Oklahoma - I guess they deserve to stay in the top 5. Sam Bradford's Heisman stats are insanely bloated due to never coming off the field when they're up by 45. The deserved to play in the Fiesta Bowl, not the Orange. OU Sucks!
6. Alabama - All year I had a feeling that Alabama wasn't as good as everyone who jumped on the band wagon was making them out to be. Still, in his first year at the program, Nick Saban can clearly coach 'em up!
7. Penn State - When Penn State was still undefeated and there was conspiracy theories that they'd jump Texas to play for the national title so that JoPa could have another shot at winning I began to pray mercilessly that they'd lose. JoPa is like a billion years old but you gotta love the guy. It's not his fault that Penn State is stuck in the Big 10 playing other mediocre teams of great football past.
8. Ohio State - They're better than I thought they were. They're seniors have lost every bowl game they've played in so from a personal standpoint that says something about both the players they recruit and the coaches. Jim Tressel should stop wearing sweater vests.
9. Texas Tech - They seem to do well when teams only have a week to prepare for their crazy offense and not an entire month. They still beat a very good Texas on a last second play. In my opinion they are on the map and clearly take over the number 3 spot for the programs in the Big 12 south.
10. TCU - I don't know anything about TCU but everybody else has them at like 7 in their polls. So, I'll stick them in at 10. And because their a christian school, maybe god won't smite me for making the Tim Tebow comment earlier.

No comments: