Friday, August 08, 2008

Waiting on Indian Food to be Delivered

As I sit here for my dinner to be delivered I figured I could write a very quick entry that will not tell you anything very important about whats going on in my life.

Today was the last day of camp. It's definitely a bitter sweet feeling. I really enjoyed the last seven weeks, both the good and the bad. It wasn't an easy job. The days were long and the pay is, well, the pay is what you get paid when you teach kids. For all the times that I had to instill the fear into some kid of doing something I specifically told him/her not to do five seconds before there was a camper that would come into my room after being checked out by their parents to give me a hug and say bye. Or, a parent during check out would say something like, "Oh, you're Landall. You have no idea how many times we've heard your name at home. Our child really enjoys your class," and you suddenly forget all the frustrations of that day. Outside of the campers I made some good friends. Some of those friendships will inevitably fade, but I'm sure a few will continue on and for a new guy in a new city, that's a big plus from my experience.

--

Just over a week ago I went to a comedy club that has stand up classes for an info session. I signed up because I thought it'd be fun and secretly stand up comedy is something I've always wanted to do. I don't know if I'm funny enough to make people laugh on stage. My mom said one time that I'm the funniest person she knows and so if nothing else, she'll laugh. I've got a notebook full of jokes as I was suddenly motivated to start writing things down. I think this upcoming Wednesday I am going to get on stage for my first open mic. It'll be 3 minutes. Hopefully I don't cry.

--



The mustache is gone. I didn't shave it for three weeks and this morning before camp I shaved everything else. I think my previous prediction of the mustache not being a good look for me is pretty obvious after three weeks of growth. While about 90% of the staff at camp made of it, 90% of the campers thought it was so funny that they wanted to draw mustaches on all of their projects for the past three weeks. Rockets, parachutes, mars rovers and terrains were all covered with hand drawn mustaches that seemed to give them extra powers to the kids. It least it got a few laughs.

--

If you're reading this, I miss you. If I don't know you, that might be awkward.

No comments: