Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I don't want to jinx it!

There's a famous Mark Twain quote that says something like, "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." I had heard this quote a few times before moving out but couldn't possibly be bothered to believe it's true. Allow me to take the time to stand corrected. When I first moved to SF I tried my hardest to ignore the fog. Then I started to say things like I liked it. Now I've come to terms with the fact that it pretty much sucks. What was the swing factor? A nice, sunny weekend in southern California.

I finally had a chance to go down and visit my good friends Micah and Emily at their home in Huntington Beach. For all the talk of the OC being plastic, they're probably right. And I'm not sure I really like suburbia or want to live in it, but there is something to be said about having perfect weather on a daily basis. As well as access to beaches where you don't need a sweatshirt and beautiful beach volleyball players by the bunches to stare at.

I flew out of Oakland because it was cheaper. When I got back I was standing on the platform waiting for BART (metro for you east coasters) and had to take my hoodie out of my bag because it was like 66 degrees and the wind was blowing, however, the sun was out! Yesterday too and today is the first day I can think of in a very long time that there wasn't at least morning fog, or the "marine layer" if you want to be fancy about it.

San Francisco is pretty famous for having a beautiful fall season. The Indian Summer they like to call it. I'm really hoping this the beginning of it because I'd like nothing more than to have some sunshine and the option of not wearing a jacket during the day. I'm fine with still wearing one at night.

At the beginning of August I went to a bar with a friend and they had a pizza board sign out front with the message, "It's August. Summer's almost here!" written in chalk. Here's to hoping that the almost actually means now.

No comments: