Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Losing Motivation

Back in November I decided I wanted to qualify for the Boston Marathon for a really good reason. I want, and always have wanted, one of these:



When I decided to do this I convinced myself that running through the winter would be better than riding through the winter and I've got to tell you, no the weekends, it is. Going out for 10-15 miles in sub freezing temps for a run is a bit easier to do than the equivalent long ride. It's easier to stay warm and besides the occasional 20mph wind gust freezing my face off, I can generally tune out the cold and just run.

When I first started this plan I was able to run outside at lunch. Now it's gotten a bit cold for that considering that I'd have to bring tights and the whole super hero get up to work on a daily basis. The obvious solution to that was run on the treadmill and while that was ok for a while, I'm over it. I just can't seem to get motivated to run on the treadmill at all anymore. This really shouldn't be surprising since it's about the most boring thing you can do. I rode indoors on my rollers the other day and was blown away by how much easier it was to mentally get through a hard 90 minute roller session with intervals than to stay on the treadmill for even 5 minutes. As soon as I start I just want to get back off.

So, here I sit, typing this instead of running during my lunch hour. It's supposed to be close to 50 today so I was looking forward to getting the change to run outside. When I just checked the weather, it's 35 and feels like 32. Warmer than I'll probably run in this weekend, but I didn't bring the right clothes for it.

All of this for a silly jacket. Hell, I don't even care if I run 9 hours in Boston (ok, that's not completely true) but I just want to qualify once and get my jacket. And, while we're sort of talking about motivation, why is it easier to get motivated to run 15 miles in 20 degree weather than 30-45 minutes indoors on a treadmill in a temperature controlled environment? That part confuses me a bit also.

Alright, I better go run because later Jill will ask me about it and I like telling her I did it rather than making up an excuse. I want warmer weather and longer bike rides!

No comments: