Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Confused

The Contador suspension being overturned confuses me. It makes me believe Floyd even more that there is basically a top ring of cyclist where conspiracy boils over. It makes me wonder how Don Alejandro Velverde actually got suspended when to my knowledge he's never actually tested positive for anything, only linked to the Puerto issue. I could be wrong about that as now days doping stories and facts are all running together. I'm also confused as to why Contador's defense is really any different than Tom Zirbels? Seems like they both had tremendously low amounts of clenbuterol in their system. Both claimed it was ingested without their knowledge. Only difference is Contador isn't proving it came from meat but that it's the only explanation because it couldn't have been anything else and Zirbel couldn't prove which supplement it might have come from since he was notified so late. Neither seem like realistic defenses but if one works why wouldn't the other?

I'm obviously not a lawyer or a chemist working in a testing lab but as average as my mind may be I can certainly tell that if this doping issue is really going to get resolved, fair/equal treatment and adherence to policy is a good place to start.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Right on. I've been saying "what about Zirbel" from the time I heard about Contador's defense. I think Zirbel even offered up his supplements for testing but just decided not to fight the suspension.

Valverde had a known sample of his blood tested against some of the blood bags from OP and the Italian federation (and later the UCI) concluded that they matched. However, it took some crafty legal moves for the Italians to prosecute the Spanish rider.