Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Crash Heard Round the (Cycling) World

Much has been made about the crash the other day at the Tour de Suisse (that's Tour of Switzerland for those not in the know). The riders protested Cavendish the next day for about two minutes, which, I think is more like a tribute, but, what do I know? I'm not a super duper fan of Cavendish but I also don't hate the guy for winning which seems like the norm if you read the comments below any article about the guy on VeloNews.

I looked at the video (below) and the picture. and I find it hard to totally blame Cavendish for the crash. Watch at about 25 seconds and it's pretty obvious that Cav and Haussler have both come around the guy in blue on opposite sides. They both move to the middle of the road at about the same time. I've always been taught in bike racing that the wheel in front has the right of way. Take another look at the picture and the crash video. Maybe Cav impedes on Haussler but they were both moving off their lines to get to the center. Cav was in front, Cav has claim over this new line.

Now, it's important to note that the "rule" I just cited isn't written down, it's just understood. It's also understood that you don't talk bad about guys in the peloton because the next day you have to come back to the same office they do. If everybody in the group is pissed at Cavendish it can't be just because he's a cocky SOB. Every sprinter is a cocky SOB. That's how it works. Obviously in a sport where the cameras can't catch everything Cavendish's antics in the group have finally struck a nerve with enough people and his colleagues are reacting.

Like I said, I think the crash was just as much Haussler's fault as Cav's. I think crashes like this happen all the time in bunch sprints. The crash was simply the event the group needed to make a public statement. When it comes to sprinters I'm not sure if it matters if people like them or not. I'm inclined to think it doesn't. They all fight for position in the sprint anyway and nobody other than teammates are politely giving them room. The Tour will be telling...

No comments: