Tuesday, April 06, 2010

I got yelled at!

As reported I have recently started commuting by bicycle. Over the last three weeks I have ridden to work everyday that it hasn't rained. Surprisingly I really like it. I've tried this before and could never really get into it for a lot of logistical reasons. But, now that I'm so much more mature and laid back about details (not really!) I'm making it work and making the best of things like, ironing my shirt only to have it re-wrinkled in my back pack. Oh well...

So far one of the major downsides to riding to work are the other people that also ride to work. I'd like to take a second to discuss the three types of riders that I find annoying.

I use my ride to work as a nice and easy spin. I don't have a computer on my bike but I can't imagine I ever break 15mph unless it's downhill, but not everyone on the bike to work circuit uses this same approach. On my commute I am kitted up. Not because I want to show people how cool I look in my fancy lycra duds but because those are the clothes I ride in and my work clothes would get way too sweaty. Because of this, I seem to be a target for all those people who use their bike commute as a daily world championship to an arbitrary finish line that they always beat me to. On almost a daily basis I get passed by some middle aged guy who has bought every piece of reflective gear possible but not chain lube. And inevitably, in the drops he will give me "the look" as he mashes along in his 52x25 (52 is the big ring on a triple. Take that for bike humor!). I have no interest in chasing this guy and I'm actually really proud of myself for reaching this mature state in my cycling career where I can let that guy go. I can only assume that this guy sees me in my kit and something inside of him wants to show me he's still got it. Trouble is, I'm pretty sure this guy has never had it, and if he had to find it, he couldn't. But, if beating me up the Mt. Vernon Trail on your way to work makes you feel good, then in the wise words of Bill Walton, "Throw it down big man."

Another type of commuter is the guy who doesn't want to blow by me as if I'm his minute man at the World Time Trial Championships, instead he's the guy that wants to sit on my wheel as we weave through families and walkers and joggers and dogs and then, inevitably on a downhill portion, attack as if I've just lead you out for a sprint finish. First, get off my wheel on the trail. There is no where to go if I need to hit the brakes because some kid has decided to lay down in the middle. Second, when I look over my shoulder and you look like you're on the rivet at 15mph, your helmet is cocked to the side, your leg hair is flowing, I heard your chain from 100' back and your right pedal cage is scrapping the ground at 6 o'clock because you still can't get your foot in it, you don't exactly strike me as a person I want that close to me on a bike. Don't be offended if I yell at you to get off my wheel. My commute to and from work is not a race. I am not riding hard enough that any sort of draft you're getting is actually helping you and, even if it was, we're not on a group ride, I don't know you, and I'd prefer not to get taken out by you.

The third type and probably most prevalent are the guys with helmet mirrors, bar mirrors, bells, horns, whistles and a voice well trained in the art of shouting "on your left." I hardly, if ever, say "on your left." You want to know why? Because in almost all cases I find that it does absolutely nothing to make my attempt to pass you any safer. Here's what generally happens when someone yells "on your left" to either a cyclist or a walker/runner.

Cyclist: "On your left!"
Other Person: Looks over left shoulder and swerves that direction.
Cyclist: Has to also swerve to avoid the swerver. And let's face it. Most of these people aren't skilled bike handlers so any swerving is a whisper away from losing skin.

Because of this, I assess the passing situation as I approach it. If it's obvious that I can fit I just go. There's no need to call out or ding your bell or blow your whistle or toot your horn for every single person on the trail. You aren't storming the beach at Normandy or warning the town of Godzilla. You're passing another person that you're going faster than. This act shouldn't take longer than a second or two and if it does, maybe the pass isn't necessary.

Speaking of which, this morning I got yelled as I went to pass a guy who was passing another guy so at the height of this maneuver we were not even three wide. There was no oncoming traffic and the trail could easily hold 4 across if needed. The guy I was passing of course used his bell and alerted the rider in front of him that he was passing, to which the rider in front swerved to the left as he looked. As soon as this ship was righted I just calmly made my way past both of them. The bell ringer, obviously offended by my silent tactic starts shouting at me for not warning him and continues to lecture me as I continue on my way. I am sorry if I ruined your morning by not creating a scene while I passed you. I'll try harder next time, maybe a bull horn will make you happy.

No comments: