Saturday, February 14, 2009

Bike Geek Mode, Ready, Go!

For those of you that don't like it when I write about cycling, stop reading now. And, I should probably warn you. For the next couple days, that's more than likely all I'll be talking about.

I am killing a few minutes before I head to Sacramento for the prologue of this years Tour of California. To say I'm excited about seeing the pros I've only previously been able to watch on TV wouldn't quite cover it. I feel about the same way I did as a 4th grader when there was an awesome field trip lined up. No need to shake me twice to get me out of bed. I have been pacing around my apartment for the last hour trying to think of things to do so I don't show up at the course 4 hours early. YEAH, 4! I'm going to settle with 2 because in my brain that seems sensible.

I've been to pro bike races before. I was at the CSC Invitational when Rashaan Bahati got his first big win as a pro for Rock Racing. I've worked the feed zone of a pro race passing up bottles to my buddy's who race for Richmond Pro Cycling. But I can't think of another single sporting event that I am more excited to get to take in. Every cyclist I have looked up to for the past 4 years is in a hotel room less than 2 hours from my apartment. The list of guys I want to get a picture of, with or have them sign my big Texas cow bell are:

1) Floyd Landis
2) Lance Armstrong
3) George Hincapie
4) Chris Horner
5) Dave Zabriskie
6) Christian Van de Velde
7) Tyler Hamilton
8) Freddy Rodriguez
(those are just the Americans!)

Also in attendance, Mark Cavendish, Tom Boonen, Fabian Cancellara, Carlos Sastre, The Schleck brothers, Thor Hushovd!

I know I'm forgetting people. The field is so deep its hard to keep track of who all is here. Ok, I gotta go. I'm getting more antsy by the minute.

Oh yeah, and I guess it's Valentines Day. Which means you should spend it with the one you love most. For me, that's bikes, perfect!

2 comments:

debbiep said...

I am so excited for you...and jealous for me...I know you had a great day. I am now going to go watch it on tv.

T said...

texas cowbells eh? that sounds like something texans would do...

talked to jane last week. she asked about you.

miss ya friend!