Thursday, October 30, 2008

So much drama in the LBC...

I realize that I mostly post about cycling. I also realize that of the 3 people that actually read the useless things that pour out of my brain, maybe one of you cares about the culture of cycling. But, it’s my blog, so I write about whatever I want.

Everybody is now well aware of the come back of good old Lance. I continue to flip flop on this issue but for none of the reasons that others seem to be chiming into the media about. Recently, a sort of super star of the future of cycling, Linus Gerdemann, vocally spoke out against Lance’s return because of the doping allegations that have always plagued him. I don’t want to change my theory on whether Lance doped simply because this cocky kid from Germany is clearly accusing Lance of doing so. Whenever someone asks me if I think he doped, I always reply with the same thing, “I’m not sure, but if he did it wouldn’t surprise me. But, that was the nature of the sport, and everybody was doing it. If everyone else was clean and so was Lance I think he’d have won then too. So I don’t care if he did or not.” But, I think that Mr. Gerdemann might be getting a bit ahead of himself here. When the greatest Tour de France rider in the history of cycling decides he wants to come back, you better give this guy the benefit of the doubt or at least keep your mouth shut, use that rage as motivation and try and beat him on your bike. Everybody knows that Lance hates it when people talk about him in the press and everybody also knows that on the bike, Lance isn’t really a nice guy. If I were Linus Gerdemann I’d hope that I didn’t find myself lined up at any races with the Texan this year. Lance might not win, but I can guarantee you he’ll lose to ensure that Gerdemann does as well.

But, beside the silly bickering this brings up a bigger point. Why in cycling is the normal judicial system that seems to hold the rest of the industrialized world together totally ignored? Our entire legal system is based on the idea that one is innocent until proven guilty. In cycling, or doping in sports rather, it’s the exact opposite. One has to absolutely prove their innocence instead. I know I’m not the first to realize this or even write about it, but it really just doesn’t make any sense to me. When perception is reality, and in no arena is this more true that professional cycling, the press seem to be the judicial system, and those officials who oversee the doping controls are more than happy to listen to every word they say.

And, this is only slightly related, but a lot of people seem to criticize teams like Rock Racing and others who sign ex-dopers who did their time, I think it's over all good for the sport. If we're going to have this insanely screwed up judicial system where guys get thrown out for a few years, then there needs to be some system to let them back into the sport. I don't think they need to get a free ride back in. They should have to earn a contract just like anybody else who's on the free market. But, life time bans are ridiculous, whether they be set down by the people holding the gavel, the riders or team directors.

If you’re interested in the link for the Gerdemann story it’s here:
http://www.velonews.com/article/84748/gerdemann-criticizes-armstrong-comeback

2 comments:

T said...

seriously...it's always cycling. there are more than two that read this craziness by the way...

landall said...

It's all I got really. so, 3?