Thursday, October 02, 2008

Internet Addiction

Tomorrow, Friday, 10/3 will mark exactly two weeks that my home internet connection has been down. At first this was simply annoying, but now it has grown into a complete hassle and expensive inconvenience. Due to the fact that my job doesn't start until next week I have no work internet to get on and check email, facebook, blogs, other things that keep me connected to my world. Instead, my only option is to use coffee shops with "free" internet. It's not really free because you have to buy something from the coffee shop in order to sit there and occupy space. The first couple of days I spread out my coffee shop visits, but was still trying to get online at least twice a day because to be honest, I'm pretty addicted to the aforementioned avenues of internet connection. I quickly realized how expensive even buying just a small coffee was going to be and whittled my coffee shop appearances down to just once per day, in the mornings. So, by doing the simple math of adding up the amount I've paid in coffee and the occasional scone over the past two weeks I have spent almost $30 for about two hours per day of internet. Comcast is cheaper for the entire month of unlimited internet access. With no apparent sign of when I will get the internet back in my apartment I am left with this stupid routine of coffee shop visits in order to fill the daily need of the internet. And, since my roommate has decided to take all of the responsibility for those services I am left with my hands tied behind my back or maybe more accurately to my wallet as I pull out cash for shitty coffee until the problem is resolved. I understand the coffee shop isn't here to provide me with internet service, but would it be too much ask for a decent cup of overpriced joe?

No comments: