Thursday, October 07, 2010

Links to Cool Stuff You, yes You, Should See

Random things I've run across today that I think you should see.

Read this article about the current life of former Tour de France winner Floyd Landis. Like him, hate him or refrain from caring, but this is a pretty piece about a guy who seems to honestly want to right his wrongs. He's still one of my favorite pro bike racers, even if he isn't really a pro bike racer anymore.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=5652787

I pretty much stand by my position that Greg LeMond is an old, angry, bitter man. But I saw an add for the new trainer that his company, LeMond Revolution put out and this thing is genius! I'm still a much bigger fan of riding on rollers but sometimes a trainer would be nice. Like the times where you just want to watch a movie and not worry about getting caught up in a chase scene and following the action left to the point that you are now crashing into the wall. Yeah, that's happened to me more than once. The problem with trainer and rollers has always been that they destroy your tires, problem solved!
http://www.lemondfitness.com/product_detail/465/lemond-revolution

My personal favorite pro ass cyclocross racer is Jeremy Powers. Like most folks I pick my favorites based on personality and I find him entertaining, insightful and charismatic. Basically a person I'd like to hang out and ride with if I personally knew him, which I don't. This year, he's working with Sam something or another, a guy that makes cyclocross films and their putting small episodes of what is supposed to be a larger, season long film at the end. Anyway, if you go to http://www.jeremypowers.missingsaddle.com/ you can see the first three installments.


Cyclocross is a hard sport to describe. I often stumble through some "You ride a bike that looks like a road bike but has knobby, fatter tires. It's off road and on. There's obstacles..." Needless to say, that's not very good. This guy, who I just stumbled across, does a pretty good job of describing cross through a cartoon of sorts. Check it out: http://slonie.wordpress.com/2010/10/04/cx-comic/

I didn't find this one today but it's worth a mention. http://www.cyclingdirt.org/ is a website dedicated to off road cycling. That means that during the year they cover mtb races, which I don't really follow much, but during cross, they follow cross, so I go here about a ga-billion times per day. If you're a super dork like me and like pre and post race interviews from the super fast guys and some really good race coverage, get familiar with this site. This year, during the USGPs they have live video with three different cameras on the course. That's pretty awesome.

Last but not least, and I don't want to harp on this, but with Amgen Tour of California 2011 route was announced today, http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/amgen-tour-of-california-host-cities-announced/144560. Is it just me or does bringing back the Solvang TT seem like an obvious attempt to give Levi an edge? The state is GIGANTIC! They're going to new places every year. Solvang is a cool little town and all, but there are other places that could host a great TT. Even a hilly TT like this one which Levi seems to really like and win. I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist here, but it just seems like the head honcho for the ToC is a big Levi fan. I'm just saying...

No comments: