Friday, August 13, 2010

Bike Dreams

I have dreams about bikes almost constantly. You'd think for someone so obsessed with bike racing that in my dreams I'd primarily be winning races. But in reality most of my bike dreams have nothing to do with racing. The other day I dreamed up this weird solution for bikes with only one set of bottle cage mounts on the frame. It was a cage that would somehow stick to the frame. I dreamed up some sort of adhesive that was as secure as normal mounts but could easily be removed when you no longer wanted the cage there. Seemed like an awesome solution for cross bikes if you don't want the screws in the frame while you're racing. I obviously have no background in adhesive chemistry technology so if someone else out there has some ideas on this, let me know. We could makes 10s of dollars.

I also have a recurring dream that I own a custom bike building company. I'm never the primary builder but people in these dreams are always asking me what they should do on the frames their building. I always give them answers but know that I generally just make it up on the spot. My bike building company is a sham. I don't know anything, I don't build anything, but apparently I'm successful. That's kind of weird. I like my dress code in those dreams though. Always jeans, a t-shirt and a shop apron. I guess you have to look the part.

Sometimes I have dreams where I'm a pro-ass bike racer but I'm never racing my bike. I'm always dealing with the other stuff like sponsor obligations, r&d, that sort of thing. When it comes time to race, I wake up.

Even though these are just dreams I feel like they sort of mimic my current life. I love bike racing. I want to race my bike all the time but I never seem to be able to. Something gets in the way. I only raced twice on the road this year. Another commitment just got in the way. At this rate, I'll never upgrade. I'm destined to be a 4 for life. Cross season is right around the corner and I really want to race. I want to race every weekend, but that's neither feasible or fair. Not feasible because I can't afford to race every weekend. Not fair because Jill shouldn't be subjected to standing on the sidelines of a cross race every weekend. Racing my bike is what keeps me motivated to ride, even if there are no races on my calender. It's weird. That doesn't even make sense to me and I just wrote it. Jill says sometimes when I'm sleeping and I have my hand on her that I move my fingers like I'm shifting gears. She says she knows I'm dreaming about riding my bike. I don't doubt it, but it's odd that I don't remember those dreams. Hopefully I'm winning.

No comments: