Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Chris Horner Vs. Michael from Biggest Loser

The managing editor here at TeamLandall is sometimes known to be a bit indecisive. Especially when it comes to topics to write about. Well, maybe not especially since it's well known we basically write about cycling, but, mostly when there are multiple topics of interest and one or so happen to be about something other than bikes. When this happens we generally decide to cover both. Or, however many there may be.

First up, cycling.

The Tour of California wrapped up on Sunday and much like I predicted Levi wasn't standing on the top step this year. My favorite quote came from Dave Zabriskie, "I'm sick of finishing second in this race." Yeah, no kidding. But, I think there are much more important things to be taken away from the Tour of California than just the overall GC.

First off, the biggest DNF of the race, Lance Armstrong. I know he crashed and got stitches in his face and I'm not about to question a guy's toughness. But regardless of the fact that Lance didn't finish there is one thing that's pretty clear, Lance Armstrong is not going to be anywhere near the top step of this year's Tour de France. For all my Contador-hating-Lance-loving friends out there, it's time that everybody just prepare themselves for a good old fashioned whipping in the both the high mountains and the TTs and probably behind a wood shed if available. Will Lance embarrass himself at the Tour de France? Absolutely not. Will he even be a factor? Only if you measure factor in media attention and crowd clapping.

So, if I'm right, and I think I am, this brings a whole new question to the table for the higher ups at Team RadioShack. Who should be the team leader at the Tour de France? For me, this answer is easy and obvious, Chris Horner. Take a look at the RadioShack team and tell me who was won a stage race that drew real talent? Let me help before you start googling, it's Chris Horner. Levi's only win is at the Gila and while I think it's a great race and great that bigger squads are sending guys; while Levi was beating up on Fly V Australia, Chris Horner was beating up on Alejandro Valverde. No disrespect to Fly V, but I would be surprised if Alejandro Valverdo has heard of them. Can Chris Horner beat Alberto Contador? I don't know, probably not. But he's certainly got a better shot and can be on much better form in July than Lance has shown all year. I think Horner has proved himself to be worthy of the leader role on that team. He worked his butt off for Levi in California because he's a great teammate, but as a domestique and finishing only 1:09 off the lead, one has to wonder what might have been had the reigns been turned loose. I think Lance and Levi should do the same for him in France. He's easily their best shot at being on the podium.

Also, from a racing tactics stand point, the only way anybody is going to beat Contador is to isolate him and make him chase down on his own early and often into the climbs. If RadioShack has three guys who can continually counter attack when Contador covers the move, I think eventually they can whittle him down. That is unless Contador just gets sick of that game goes on the attack himself and buries everyone. I sort of feel like my strategy is the equivalent of poking a bear with a stick, but maybe they can get a big stick?

Up next, not cycling. The Biggest Loser.

I watch this show every Tuesday night and cry like a baby. It's ridiculous. I think it's actually embarrassing for Jill. Something about people who have finally hit that bottom and are willing to do whatever it takes to make themselves better is awesome to me. People working hard to make themselves better is just inspiring, period. Being that I'm 6'3" and weigh 153lbs I don't really have a lot in common with the people on this show. At the beginning of every season I sit there and wonder how they've let themselves get that way. The funny thing is, in their interviews, they all ask themselves the same question. They never have an answer, they just know that now, they're sick of it, and they're ready to do what it takes to change their lives. And you know what? They do.

Last night was the results show and the winner, Mike, lost over 50% of his original body weight in less than 6 months. He didn't have surgery, he worked his tail off, quite literally. When he was sore, he worked out. When he was hungry, he ate correctly. I know being in an environment like they have on the ranch would really help to jump start anybody's weight loss and not everybody has access to those facilities or super star personal trainers. But what everybody does have access to is the outdoors. You don't need a gym to get healthy. You just need will power.

The obesity rates in this country are ridiculous. Just take a look around you on any given street and see how many people you'd categorize as healthy. Not fit. Not about to run a marathon, but just healthy. Not that many. I wish it was absolutely mandatory for obese people to watch this show. To see that it can be done. The show does a great job of showing how hard the contestants are working out, but also how hard their journey is outside of a gym as well. Like I said, I can't really relate, but I bet most people could, and they could be inspired even more than I am. But, the one thing I think I take away from every season is that the decision to work that hard comes from within. You see the people that get to the ranch and then don't make it very long because it's too hard. But you also see the people who are serious about changing their lives.

For a visual, here's the before and after picture of this season's winner.



After seeing these kinds of transformations it's tough for me to listen to people make excuses about how it hurts when they work out because of this or because of that. This guy, O'Neal, could barely walk his knees were so bad. Not too bad for a guy who wanted something bad enough to deal with the pain. After more time than anyone should spend searching for a before after picture that would load I have given up, go here to see what I mean.

No comments: